Operation DKA

This was the designation of Allied convoys (together with a numerical suffix) plying the route from Durban, South Africa, via Kilindini, Kenya, to Aden, and inaugurated in September 1943 to replace all previous convoys northward-bound along the coast of East Africa, and as such reciprocals of the 'AKD' series (September 1943/June 1944).

The first of these convoys was DKA.1 of 30 September/9 October from Kilindini to Aden with the 7,266-ton British Bradford City II, 5,032-ton British Eastgate, 7,059-ton British Empire Trumpet, 1,870-ton British Foreland, 4,164-ton Greek Irene S. Embirikos, 5,175-ton Greek Nikos T and 7,178-ton British Ocean Wayfarer. The last was DKA.20 of 13/24 June 1944 from Durban to Kilindini with the 5,273-ton British City of Dundee, 5,627-ton Greek Evinos, 4,814-ton British Sheaf Holme and 7,841-ton British Shirala.