Operation Blacklist

'Blocklist' was the US plan devised by General Douglas MacArthur’s South-West Pacific Area command for the unopposed landings at Yokosuka and on Kyushu, and the subsequent occupation of the Japanese home islands after the surrender of the Japanese empire, and by the Commander-in-Chief, Air Forces, Pacific, to occupy Japanese-held territory at the same time (2 September/22 October 1945).

The occupation of the area to the north of (and including) Tokyo was undertaken by Vice Admiral Theodore S. Wilkinson’s 3rd Amphibious Force (headquarters ship Mount Olympus) and Lieutenant General Robert L. Eichelberger’s 8th Army, and to the south by Vice Admiral Harry W. Hill’s 5th Amphibious Force (headquarters ship Auburn) and Lieutenant General Walter C. Krueger’s 6th Army.

In the 8th Army’s zone, Lieutenant General Charles P. Hill’s XI Corps occupied the Tokyo area, Major General Oscar W. Griswold’s XIV Corps northern Honshu with the exception of Ominato, and Major General Major General Charles W. Ryder’s IX Corps the area around the Tsugaru Strait and Hokkaido. In the XI Corps' zone, TF33 disembarked Major General William C. Chase’s 1st Cavalry Division at Yokohama on 2 September and on the following day the division’s 112th Cavalry Regimental Combat Team was landed at Tateyama to secure Tokyo Bay. On 5 September the first reconnaissance of Tokyo was made and on 8 September the 1st Cavalry Division entered the Japanese capital.

After the completion of the airlift of Major General Joseph M. Swing’s 11th Airborne Division on 6 September, Major General George W. Griner’s 27th Division was flown into Atsugi from Okinawa between 7 and 14 September. Between 8 and 10 September TF35 landed William H. Arnold’s Americal Division in Yokohama. On 14 September Major General Leonard F. Wing’s 43rd Division followed but was then withdrawn on 27 September to return to the USA. The XIV Corps began the occupation of northern Honshu in Sendai on 15 September. The corps had the 11th Airborne Division, which arrived at Sendai by land, and the 27th Division, which travelled to Niigata. As relief, Major General Herman F. Kramer’s 97th Division reached the Tokyo area on 20 September. In the IX Corps' zone on 6 September, Vice Admiral Frank J. Fletcher’s (from the middle of the month Rear Admiral Francis C. Denebrinck’s) North Pacific Force landed advance detachments of the Marine Corps in Ominato at the northern tip of Honshu. On 8 September minesweeping forces started on the clearance of the Tsugaru Strait. Between 25 and 27 September an amphibious group landed Major General Paul J. Mueller’s 81st Division at Aomori on the eastern side of the Strait of Tsushima, and on 4 October the 306th Regimental Combat Team was landed at Otaru on Hokkaido. The bulk of Major General Andrew D. Bruce’s 77th Division followed on on 15 October to Otaru, and thence to Sapporo.

From 7 October the IX Corps established its headquarters in Sapporo.

In the zone allocated to the 6th Army, Lieutenant General Harry Schmidt’s V Amphibious Corps occupied Kyushu, Major General Franklin C. Sibert’s X Corps Shikoku and southern Honshu, and Major General Innis P. Swift’s I Corps Honshu from the Kii Channel as far as the Shizuoka/Takaoka line. In the V Amphibious Corps' zone, the 127th Regimental Combat Team of Major General William H. Gill’s 32nd Division was delivered by air on 4 September to Kanoya at the southern tip of Kyushu. Rear Admiral Lawrence F. Reifsnider’s 4th Amphibious Group landed Major General Thomas E. Bourke’s 5th Marine Division in Sasebo on 22 October. On 22 September Major General LeRoy P. Hunt’s 2nd Marine Division arrived in Nagasaki. On 15 October the rest of the 32nd Division was landed at Shimonoseki and proceeded to Saga in central Kyushu. The operations were covered by a group commanded by Rear Admiral Morton L. Deyo.

In I Corps' zone, Rear Admiral Albert G. Noble’s 8th Amphibious Group disembarked Major General Percy W. Clarkson’s 33rd Division at Kobe on 25 September, Major General Arthur McK. Harper’s 98th Division at Wakayama on 27 September and Major General Charles L. Mullins’s 25th Division at Nagoya on 2 October. The headquarters of the 6th Army was established in Kyoto, and that of the I Corps in Osaka.

In the zone of the X Corps, headquartered at Kure, Major General Jens A. Doe’s 41st Division was landed by Rear Admiral Bertram J. Rodgers’s 11th Amphibious Group at Kure on 22 September, and Commodore Ryan’s amphibious group landed Major General Roscoe B. Woodruff’s 24th Division at Matsuyama on Shikoku on 7 October.