This was a British temporary deployment of RAF flying boat units, normally based on the coasts of Egypt, India and Ceylon, along the coast of East Africa (1943/44).
One of these units was No. 230 Squadron, which was normally based at Aboukir in Egypt with Short Sunderland Mk III flying boats until January 1943, when it moved to Dar-es-Salaam in the mandated territory of Tanganyika in British East Africa to participate in the maritime war in the Indian Ocean. During 1943 the squadron was engaged on patrols against U-boats and Japanese submarines, air/sea rescue flights and transit flights. In February 1944 the squadron moved to Ceylon.