Operation Wilhelm-Stellung

William position

This was a German defence position at Orlovka on the north-eastern side of the Stalingrad perimeter on the Eastern Front, just to the west of Rynok on the western bank of the Volga river (November 1942/January 1943).

The position was occupied by Generalleutnant Georg Pfeiffer’s 94th Division and Generalmajor Erich Magnus’s 389th Division, which were controlled respectively by General Karl Strecker’s XI Corps and General Walter von Seydlitz-Kurzbach’s LI Corps of Generaloberst Friedrich Paulus’s 6th Army on 24 November 1942.